"Commitment is doing the thing you said you would do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." George R. Zalucki


Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Everyday we have amazing testimony building experiences

Dear Sister Bassett,

We had an amazing miracle yesterday! On Sunday one of our bishops came up to us and said that he got a message from a woman who said she was an investigator. She said that she has been taking lessons for a while now, and wanted her son to start taking the lessons. She just moved into our area, and wanted to know where the church building was. Our bishop said he would get back to us on it. Then yesterday while we were in Zone Conference we got a text referral for a woman named Kara. A member from Mesa referred her. The referral said that Kara was a former investigator who was very interested. I am a little slow, so I didn't make the connection right away. So we called the member, and she told us a little bit about Kara, and we started to realize that this could be the same lady that contacted the bishop. We called Kara and left a message. She called back a bit later and said that she really wants her son to be baptized and that she needs help quitting smoking so she can be baptized! We met with them last night and they are awesome! We were amazed! Another miracle! We are so blessed to be a part of this work. We have the opportunity everyday to have these amazing testimony building experiences. I really have come to know that this is The Lord's work and that He will make things happen if we have faith, work hard, and remain obedient. I love it!

Thank you again for everything,
Sincerely,
Elder Christensen

No comments:

When I was 14 or 15, I had a teacher that prided himself on being a thinker. We had some enlightening discussions in his classroom. He helped me ask some great questions that led to tremendous answers that still guide me today. We agreed on many things, but were at odds on a few. One of them was religion. I had a lot of respect for this man, but it amazed me that someone who claimed to be open minded was blind to just how closed minded he was when it came to God. He was always challenging my faith. He considered my beliefs to be a sign of my weakness. His claim was that unless it could be acknowledged by the 5 senses, there was no proof that God existed. I struggled as a young person to help him understand that he was limiting his understanding to what he had personally experienced, cutting himself off from other possibilities. The best that I could do was to try and help him understand how I knew; that things of the spirit could only be understood and perceived by the spirit. Years later, I still don't have a better answer to this one fundamental question, but I face the same dilemma. This blog is dedicated to preserving stories and experiences of missionaries in the Arizona Mesa Mission both during and after their formal missions. Some stories are fun and light hearted, but others are of a spiritual nature. The blog forum is so convenient, yet the format is limiting. There is more to these words than letters on a page. To truly understand the messages requires not only an open mind, but a soft heart.

After all, "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a Heaven for?- Robert Browning"

Look who's checking in