"Commitment is doing the thing you said you would do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." George R. Zalucki


Monday, January 11, 2010

Dear Sister Bassett
We have had a lot of miracles. We have been working hard, and we have been blessed immensely.

Yesterday, we had an appointment with a single woman named Ernestina, and we needed a 3rd male. Our problem was that the person who was going to join us was out of town in California going to a funeral. So we called a lot of people everyone said no becasue they were busy with something else. Then we got the idea to call another member named Scott. We called him, and he was very willing to help us.

Another thing that God has blessed us with is during the day yesterday we had a goal to TTI (street contact) at least 25 people. We had no apointments for a few hours so we decided to bike from our apartment on 20th street and Campbell to the Ashland building at approximately 3rd street and Thomas. Typically a 1 day ride one way. Talking to everyone that we saw, we talked to about 21 people. Continually, I was praying that we could accomplish our goal. After the bike ride back to our apartment, we didn't get anymore TTI's for a while. After a few appointments, we had arrived back to our apartments at about 8:00. We knowing this (that they would arrive at their apartment earlier than normal), had planned to walk from our apartment to the church building and back which in total is about 2 miles. It was night so there weren't many people. We got to 24 TTI's and with only a few feet until we were to cross the street to make the last turn. I prayed that we would just talk to 1 more person. I turned and I saw a man wearing a black jacket. In the dark, we couldn't see him before, but then we saw him. We TTIed him and there the Lord helped us accomplish our goal.

Also, I think you should know another story. Shortly before the temple excursion, my friend was telling me that she was going through a really hard time. She was getting help, but was still struggling. I prayed that in the temple I could receive the knowledge of what to tell her. During your talk shortly befor we entered in to the temple, you said something along the lines of "Hope is doing the correct thing now believing that things will be made right latter." I was strongly prompted to tell her that. So I wrote it down and latter I wrote her and told her what you said. Followed by my own testimony about how I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is meant for families and how I came to that knowledge. The next week, I got a message from her thanking me for sending her that quote from you and sharing my testimony, becasue that is exactly what she needed to hear. You were inspired to say that and thank you for not being hesitant to say what it is that you needed to say.

Thank you for all your family's hard work.
Love Elder Thomas

No comments:

When I was 14 or 15, I had a teacher that prided himself on being a thinker. We had some enlightening discussions in his classroom. He helped me ask some great questions that led to tremendous answers that still guide me today. We agreed on many things, but were at odds on a few. One of them was religion. I had a lot of respect for this man, but it amazed me that someone who claimed to be open minded was blind to just how closed minded he was when it came to God. He was always challenging my faith. He considered my beliefs to be a sign of my weakness. His claim was that unless it could be acknowledged by the 5 senses, there was no proof that God existed. I struggled as a young person to help him understand that he was limiting his understanding to what he had personally experienced, cutting himself off from other possibilities. The best that I could do was to try and help him understand how I knew; that things of the spirit could only be understood and perceived by the spirit. Years later, I still don't have a better answer to this one fundamental question, but I face the same dilemma. This blog is dedicated to preserving stories and experiences of missionaries in the Arizona Mesa Mission both during and after their formal missions. Some stories are fun and light hearted, but others are of a spiritual nature. The blog forum is so convenient, yet the format is limiting. There is more to these words than letters on a page. To truly understand the messages requires not only an open mind, but a soft heart.

After all, "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a Heaven for?- Robert Browning"

Look who's checking in