"Commitment is doing the thing you said you would do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." George R. Zalucki


Thursday, December 10, 2009

Hello Sister Bassett!
I've been meaning to write you for a long while, but I'm a great procrastinator, but it would be ungrateful of me not to write and tell you of a few of the many miracles I have seen this year. Before I started writing down miracles, I felt as if God blessed me in different ways from miracles. I felt I didn't have anything incredibly amazing to share, but after thorough review, I have so much to share! Thank you for your inspiration in asking us to think of miracles. It has helped me immensely.
So, to name a few:
While I was in Scottsdale, Sister Winder and I had just gotten done with a dinner appointment and were about to go see someone on our list. Rather randomly, we decided to just knock on a couple of doors not even close to anything at all. The house we knocked at belonged to a less active family, the Jensens, who had lived in Scottsdale previously, moved to Hawaii for a while, and then came back. They had been active in Hawaii, but when they moved back to Scottsdale the year before, they didn't want to go to the ward they were assigned to, so they didn't transfer their records or anything, so no one knew about them to even stop by. But after that visit, their records could now be transfered, and they could be taken care of by the wards and missionaries. I don't know what happened to them, but I do know Heavenly Father had his watchful eye over that family.
- Sister Winder and I had been having a particularly difficult week, and had been praying for miracles. One of our bishops was particularly aware of our struggles and wanted so much to help us. One day he called us up and said, "Sisters, you're not going to believe this. There is someone who just moved into our area and wants to get baptized as soon as possible." We were stoked! We went to see the refferal as soon as we could. His name was Kris, and he had moved back in with his girlfriend after having just gotten out of jail. Kris had been taught by a couple missionary within the jail and had become truly converted. His heart was literally changed as he accepted and acted upon the restored gospel. Now his only desire was to get baptized and be sealed in the temple to his girlfriend and children. They were married shortly after and since he wasn't on probation, he could be baptized a week later. Miracle!

You are simply wonderful. Thank you for all that you do for us :)
With Love,
Sister Higbee

No comments:

When I was 14 or 15, I had a teacher that prided himself on being a thinker. We had some enlightening discussions in his classroom. He helped me ask some great questions that led to tremendous answers that still guide me today. We agreed on many things, but were at odds on a few. One of them was religion. I had a lot of respect for this man, but it amazed me that someone who claimed to be open minded was blind to just how closed minded he was when it came to God. He was always challenging my faith. He considered my beliefs to be a sign of my weakness. His claim was that unless it could be acknowledged by the 5 senses, there was no proof that God existed. I struggled as a young person to help him understand that he was limiting his understanding to what he had personally experienced, cutting himself off from other possibilities. The best that I could do was to try and help him understand how I knew; that things of the spirit could only be understood and perceived by the spirit. Years later, I still don't have a better answer to this one fundamental question, but I face the same dilemma. This blog is dedicated to preserving stories and experiences of missionaries in the Arizona Mesa Mission both during and after their formal missions. Some stories are fun and light hearted, but others are of a spiritual nature. The blog forum is so convenient, yet the format is limiting. There is more to these words than letters on a page. To truly understand the messages requires not only an open mind, but a soft heart.

After all, "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a Heaven for?- Robert Browning"

Look who's checking in