"Commitment is doing the thing you said you would do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." George R. Zalucki


Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Answered Prayers

Hello Sister Bassett,

It has been a neat experience reflecting on all the miracles I have seen since we have fasted as a mission. What keeps coming to my mind is how I have been so blessed as a missionary to have taught the G____ family. Anna and Noe are the parents of 5 boys. We recieved Anna as a referral sometime in October. We began just teaching Anna, and then we were able to set up a time to teach the whole family.  The lessons were going great. The boys were always fighting over whose turn it was to pray. We saw their progression in the gospel, but I think the real miracle came when Sis Tuioti and I recieved an answer to their prayers through a member.

We went over to visit Anna one morning. She was upset, because she had to send her boys to school without breakfast. Tears filled her eyes as she explained the difficult situation they were in with unemployment. We reassured her and tried to comfort her. Throughout that day they were in our thoughts and prayers. We tried to get a hold of people who we think could help with food but we didn't hear back from anyone. Then at about 7 that night, we recieved a phone call from a member in a different ward. She asked us if we had dinner yet and if we were hungry. We told her that we already had dinner and asked her why. She then told us that she cooked dinner that night but then her husband brought dinner home, and they didn't want a hot meal to go to waste. She called around the ward and asked about 10 families if they needed dinner that night. All of them declined the offer. Then the impression came to her to call the missionaries. As she explained this, my heart filled with joy as I knew who exactly could use that meal. So I asked Sister Brown if we could take the dinner to a family that could really use it. Of course she said yes. When we picked up the dinner, much to our surprise, Sister Brown had a few more bags of food she had cleared from her pantry. An answer to our prayers!! 


We took the food over to the G____'s, and they were filled with so much joy. Anna and Noe both expressed gratitude, and we couldn't help but watch the boys get so excited about the fruit snacks and other tasty treats. That week was a huge motivator for this family. We set a baptismal date with them. Anna, Noe and their oldest son all got baptized together. They are strong members of the church already. Noe has expressed the desire to share his testimony in church several times and has been ordained as a priest. He looks forward to baptizing their son Jonathan in April. Also as a result we are now teaching Anna's nieces, Bianca and Crystal who live with them now. They are schedule to be baptized this saturday.

Of course there have been many other miracles that I would love to share. Minutes are running out here at the library so if you would like me to share a few more let me know.

Thanks for all you do Sister Bassett. You are amazing!! (I love it when they say that!)

Sister Tara Morton

No comments:

When I was 14 or 15, I had a teacher that prided himself on being a thinker. We had some enlightening discussions in his classroom. He helped me ask some great questions that led to tremendous answers that still guide me today. We agreed on many things, but were at odds on a few. One of them was religion. I had a lot of respect for this man, but it amazed me that someone who claimed to be open minded was blind to just how closed minded he was when it came to God. He was always challenging my faith. He considered my beliefs to be a sign of my weakness. His claim was that unless it could be acknowledged by the 5 senses, there was no proof that God existed. I struggled as a young person to help him understand that he was limiting his understanding to what he had personally experienced, cutting himself off from other possibilities. The best that I could do was to try and help him understand how I knew; that things of the spirit could only be understood and perceived by the spirit. Years later, I still don't have a better answer to this one fundamental question, but I face the same dilemma. This blog is dedicated to preserving stories and experiences of missionaries in the Arizona Mesa Mission both during and after their formal missions. Some stories are fun and light hearted, but others are of a spiritual nature. The blog forum is so convenient, yet the format is limiting. There is more to these words than letters on a page. To truly understand the messages requires not only an open mind, but a soft heart.

After all, "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a Heaven for?- Robert Browning"

Look who's checking in