"Commitment is doing the thing you said you would do, long after the mood you said it in has left you." George R. Zalucki


Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Updates and More

I have some super cool news. I graduate in May (not the cool news, but still good), so I decided that I was going to move back to Orlando so that I could teach RS in my old singles ward (the RS presidency wanted me to, and I LOVE teaching RS!). I had been thinking about this decision for a while, and made the decision to do it for sure on saturday. Well, the next day was the sunday before conference so I fasted (mistakingly thinking it was fast sunday). I fasted to know that my decision to move was right, and that I would be in the place where I could help the Lord most effectively. After Sacrament, a member of the stake called me into the office and issued a calling to be an Institute Instructor teaching Mission Prep. I just stared at him blankly, in silence. Had he REALLY just offered me my DREAM calling when I had just decided to move?!?! HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN!!! In the awkward, staring silence- he said "did you ever think you would be an institute teacher?" I didn't know what to do! I felt good about moving to Orlando! I thought about it during gospel doctrine and decided that it was the answer to my fast. I am going to have to commute every week (1.5 hours) to teach this class... but I am SO stinking excited!!! I am under the direction of the CES Institute Director and I will have a key to the building and everything (SO official)! I LOVE missionary work! I can't wait to share that love with prospective missionaries. I really hope that I can help those who are bordering on "not going" to fall on the side of "I CAN'T WAIT TO GO!" I've been home 18 months. Do you know how long the stake counselor thought I had been home? TEN (because of my behavior)! Now THAT'S a complement if I've ever heard one! I found out that two of my friends who took the first lesson a month ago (see my other post of "Two Birds with One Invite"), were each approached by a family member who angrily interrogated them about their visits with the Mormons. They each told me of their responses and I was AMAZED at the nearly perfect first lesson each of them taught to their accusers. Even though they didn't want to proceed with the lessons, each of them shared what they knew with others. They defended the LDS church with all that they had learned. What a sweet experience. Currently, I have been talking with one of my friends who is going through a "spiritual rehab". She is very in tune with "the universe" and very gay. I have a deep personal love for those who struggle with same gender attraction, but I am always very careful and hesitant when I want to share the gospel with them, knowing what they would have to sacrifice. However, I KNOW that they need these blessings, and I KNOW that it is my responsibility to share it with them. Today I was able to share a little bit about the church with her as we had lunch. Before we ate, I said "excuse me, I need to bless my food". I bowed my head and said a silent prayer. Afterwords, she smiled and said "I need to do that! What did you say?" I was able to share with her how to pray, and to tell her some of the things that I prayed for. She responded "I like that!". I don't know how far this will go, but I DO know that she needs to see the life of a Latter-day Saint who actually lives the gospel. Homosexuals rarely get to see "the good" aspects of the church, so I'm glad that I can be there. We had a very spiritually uplifting conversation. Did I tell you about the Jew I met while I was donating platelets and plasma? She has become my favorite phlebotomist! She is a jew who actually practices her religion! She speaks fluent Hebrew and everything. We talked about temples and some other gospel topics. I told her that I wanted to learn more about Judaism and she told me that she wants to learn more about the LDS church. I'm going to go to the synagogue with her on some friday. How could anyone NOT love missionary work!

1 comment:

Angela Bassett said...

You amaze me! This was a wonderful post. What lucky future missionaries. I hope some of them get sent here!
Thank you for also for the insight about sharing the gospel with EVERYONE. It's so important. Some of my friends that are gay struggle with the church, but you're right. They are children of God. They are loved and precious to Him. They need and deserve to see the best that the gospel brings out in us and have the opportunity to decide for themselves if they will pattern their life after it's teachings. Good luck with your friend and with your phlebotomist. She (your Jewish friend) would be so great to have while studying The Book of Mormon! I'll bet she has some great insights. Love you!

When I was 14 or 15, I had a teacher that prided himself on being a thinker. We had some enlightening discussions in his classroom. He helped me ask some great questions that led to tremendous answers that still guide me today. We agreed on many things, but were at odds on a few. One of them was religion. I had a lot of respect for this man, but it amazed me that someone who claimed to be open minded was blind to just how closed minded he was when it came to God. He was always challenging my faith. He considered my beliefs to be a sign of my weakness. His claim was that unless it could be acknowledged by the 5 senses, there was no proof that God existed. I struggled as a young person to help him understand that he was limiting his understanding to what he had personally experienced, cutting himself off from other possibilities. The best that I could do was to try and help him understand how I knew; that things of the spirit could only be understood and perceived by the spirit. Years later, I still don't have a better answer to this one fundamental question, but I face the same dilemma. This blog is dedicated to preserving stories and experiences of missionaries in the Arizona Mesa Mission both during and after their formal missions. Some stories are fun and light hearted, but others are of a spiritual nature. The blog forum is so convenient, yet the format is limiting. There is more to these words than letters on a page. To truly understand the messages requires not only an open mind, but a soft heart.

After all, "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a Heaven for?- Robert Browning"

Look who's checking in